Monday, February 13, 2006

A Midsummer Night Lovefest in the Philippines

By Lito Casaje

WHEN SISTER IMEE Mora, OSA, president of La Consolacion College Manila, appointed me as the institution's director for performing arts last semester, little did I realize that her vision-mission of instilling theater consciousness in her academic community, particularly in her spoiled colegialas whose perception of culture and the arts stops with "Pinoy Big Brother" and "Encantadia," was something of a Herculean challenge.

My once self-aggrandizing spirit to fulfill only my self-centered artistic whims, as president and artistic director of the 16-year-old Dramatis Personae, suddenly made a turnaround after being challenged this time by the lackadaisical attitude of my student actors in my latest theatrical project, a physical theater version of William Shakespeare's romantic comedy "A Midsummer Night's Dream."

No comments: